ym360 Trends and Culture Update (Vol 6)
At ym360, we're committed to equipping youth workers. While most of our energy is dedicated to doing this in the areas of Bible Study Resources and Training, we believe it's valuable for youth workers and parents to stay in the loop on what is happening in youth culture and culture in general. (Read why we think it's important here.) A couple times a month, we'll do a post like this one, where we link to relevant articles and studies that give you a better glimpse into the world teenagers are living in. We'd love to know that we're not just equipping you, but those you serve, as well. Consider using this article to equip your community in the following ways:
- Email this link to your adult volunteers
- Repost it on your blog or church website
- Email the link to all your parents to help equip them to better understand their teen's world
Without further ado, here are some relevant links we think you should know about.
- Only 8% of Internet users use Twitter. Greatest usage? Among young urban adults and minorities. And not among teenagers . . . yet.
- Surprise, surprise! The biggest influencers among teen girls are . . . teen girls. This study, from Varsity Brands, shows that opinions from other girls are the chief influencer among teenage girls.
- How families (busy, stressed out families) are using technology to CRAM more into 24 hour days. Much more. Great read.
- We tweeted about this one, but worth a repost. Study shows dating violence among teens is common.
- Interesting article debating the merits of weightless surgery for teens. Cites statistics about adolescent and teenage obesity.
- LA Times reports that a study published last week shows Gay and Lesbian Teens punished more by police, courts, and schools. The study points to a "hidden bias" toward gay students.
- Partnership for a Drug Free America rebrands and refocuses. A quote from the article: "Something like nine million teens and young adults are struggling with drugs or alcohol,yet there is so little out there to help parents deal with it."
- Apparently talent continues to be optional for the reality stars of pop-culture. MTV will drop the Jersey Shore star "Snooki" at midnight on New Year's Eve in Time's Square. Ugh . . .
- The 10 Most Disappointing Video Games of 2010. Not a gamer? Use it as a discussion starter with your students.
- Want to check the pulse of the year that was in trends & culture? Twitter posted the top 10 twitter trends (in categories) from 2010.
- Your Billboard top 100 for the week. Check our what many of your students are listening to. Katy Perry in at number 1 with "Firework."
- Narnia's Dawntreader won the weekend, but opened REALLY low: only 24.5 Million dollars over the opening weekend.
That's it for this edition of the ym360 Trends & Culture report. Look for another one the week of December 27.