flashback friday (feb. 3): this week's links from the youth ministry blogosphere
One of the things we are committed to at ym360 is Networking. Our vision for networking is connecting you to people and organizations doing awesome youth ministry.
Flashback Friday is a feature where we give you the run down of all the awesome posts from the past week in the youth ministry blogosphere. Consider it our way of keeping you connected with what is going on.
We had one of "those posts" this week on the blog. Our post, "When Is A Youth Minister Too Old To Be Effective?" generated more page views in 36 hours than most of our posts do in a few months. If you haven't read the awesome stories from youth workers in the comments section, you're really missing out. The post also generated some really wonderful responses by Doug Fields on Doug's blog, and by Leneita Fix and Darren Sutton on Phil Bell's Blog. You can read the original article and the responses by clicking the links below:
- The post: "Youth Ministry Essentials: When Is A Youth Minister Too Old To Be Effective?"
- Doug's Response: "5 Reasons That I Am Not Too Old For Youth Ministry"
- Leneita's response, "Advice For A Veteran Youth Worker, Part 1"
- Darren's response, "Advice For A Veteran Youth Worker, Part 2"
Other ym360 Posts From The Week:
- Youth Worker BOOST: I've Got A Secret
- FREE Valentine's Bible Study Lesson!
- 3 Reasons Your Student Ministry MUST Have Small Groups
We search the Internet to bring you relevant information to help you be a better youth worker. Here are some links from posts we thought were pretty great.
- Adam Reed, "4 Things To Do At A Student's Sporting Event": Such a simple and practical post by Adam. Dead on.
- Benjer McVeigh, "When You Feel Stuck": This is such a great post. Transparent with some really solid application. I know I've been here. And my hunch is that most people have, as well. Worth a read.
- Brian Berry, "So You Don't Know The Answer . . . ": One of my favorite posts of the week. Brian deals with this perfectly. If you've ever NOT had an answer to students' questions, this post is for you.
- Chris Wesley, "Simply Focus": Really like Chris' thoughts here. Good takeaways.
- Doug Franklin, "3 Keys To Starting A Student Leadership Team": Short and practical post by Doug. Good takeaways here.
- Eric Dye, "All About Millennials": Love this from Eric. Such a good infographic that nails the millennial perspective. Good stuff.
- Jim Candy, "The Coming Wave In Youth Ministry, Part 1": Thought provoking post here. I share Jim's concerns for my kids and my students. Looking forward to seeing how he defines the coming wave.
- Josh Evans, "5 reasons Your Student Ministry May Never Grow": Ouch! Josh Evans hits a nerve on this guest post from More Than Dodgeball.com.
- Michael Kelley, "David, Goliath, and the Gospel": Not youth ministry centered, per se, but this video of Matt Chandler that Michael passes along is a really great treatment of what a "gospel-centered" approach is.
- Steven Orel and Matt Reynolds, "Don't Assume Your Students Know Jesus": Steven and Matt write a good post here. Something we've all encountered. Good perspective.
That's all the links for this week. As always, have an awesome weekend . . . And THANK YOU for the chance to serve you as part of the ym360 community.