Here's the latest edition of the ym360 Trends & Culture Update, a twice monthly look at research and articles designed to keep youth ministers, adult volunteers, and parents in the loop on what's happening in youth culture. (Read why we think it's important here.)
We Want To Equip You And Those You Serve
Consider using this article to equip your community in the following ways:
- Use the PRINT and/or EMAIL buttons at the top and bottom of the page to share this content with your ministry team and especially your students' parents. (For a real-life example of what this looks like, check out this post from ym360 Contributor Aaron Kirkpatrick.)
- Repost it on your blog or church website
- SHARE IT with your youth ministry networks. This is a great way to help your peeps!
Without further ado, here are some relevant links we think you should know about.
- Pipe App Finally Brings File Transfer to Facebook
- Tumblr's Porn Can Stay, Suggests Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer
- Study: Teens favor Twitter, share more info
- Tumblr Brings More Ads To Users’ Dashboards, Rearranges Buttons & Teens Freak Out
- Four in ten teens and college students said they've played a game on Facebook.
- Oh, This Is Fattening? Teens Ignore Fast-Food Calorie Counts
- Religion Is Losing Influence
- Interesting first-person perspective on millennials and entitlement.
- Insurance companies give parents ability to track teens driving.
- The Truth About Millennials (in Boomer Eyes)
- Is USA finally kicking its sugar habit?
- FCC proposing to allow more sex and profanity during kids’ television viewing hours
- Three Things Girls Must Know About Their Sexuality
- Teens and Abortion. . . There's An App For That.
- What movies are your students and/or their friends watching? Click here to check out which movies won the weekend.
- Stay in touch with what your students and/or their friends are listening to. The Billboard Hot 100 tracks songs across all mediums. By clicking here you can listen to and watch the videos for the most popular songs in the country right now. (NOTE: Use discernment when previewing this content as, sadly, much of it is objectionable.)
- Infographic on suicide statistics.
- Sleep-Deprived Teens Make Poor Food Choices
- What’s Behind The Drop in U.S. Teen Birth Rates.
- How Does Internet Porn Affect Teens? New Study Says: We Have No Idea!
- Latest Pew Research on Teens, Social Media, and Privacy.
That's it for this edition of the ym360 Trends & Culture report. Look for another one the week of June 17.
[**Note: By nature, some of the articles and subject matter we deal with in Trends & Culture often conflicts with our beliefs and ethics as Christ-followers. Our purpose in linking to this type of material is to simply give you the option of knowing the culture your students are surrounded by. Use discretion to determine which links to click on.]
Want more ym360 Trends & Culture? Sign up for a ym360 User Account and receive Trends & Culture Updates in our bi-weekly ym30 Newsletter.