Here's the latest edition of the ym360 Trends & Culture Update, a regular look at research and articles designed to keep youth ministers, adult volunteers, and parents in the loop on what's happening in youth culture. (Read why we think it's important here.)
We Want To Equip You And Those You Serve
Consider using this article to equip your community in the following ways:
- Use the PRINT and/or EMAIL buttons at the top and bottom of the page to share this content with your ministry team and especially your students' parents. (For a real-life example of what this looks like, check out this post from ym360 Contributor Aaron Kirkpatrick.)
- Repost it on your blog or church website
- SHARE IT with your youth ministry networks. This is a great way to help your peeps!
Without further ado, here are some relevant links we think you should know about.
- 5 Crazy Ways Social Media Is Changing Your Brain Right Now
- Inside the Secret World of Teen Suicide Hashtags
- Millennials Are The Largest Group Of Smartphone Owners, And Adoption Is Still Growing
- Parents’ Smartphones: Sticky Faith Builder or Breaker?
- Social Media Tracked Trends: Facebook isn't dead among teens, but Vine, Instagram, and Snapchat are gaining.
- InterVarsity ”Derecognized“ at California State University's 23 Campuses
- There Are no Books Here! This Is a Library!
- Entering adulthood in a recession linked to lower narcissism later life
- TV is increasingly for old people
- What movies are your students and/or their friends watching? Click here to check out which movies won the weekend.
- Stay in touch with what your students and/or their friends are listening to. The Billboard Hot 100 tracks songs across all mediums. By clicking here you can listen to and watch the videos for the most popular songs in the country right now. (NOTE: Use discernment when previewing this content as, sadly, much of it is objectionable.)
- One in 10 girls raped or sexually assualted worldwide, United Nations says
- Study: Teens who smoke weed daily are 60% less likely to complete high school than those who never use
- E-Cigarettes May Be A “Gateway” Drug For Teenagers, Study Shows
- Teens taking alcohol cue from parents: National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre study
That's it for this edition of the ym360 Trends & Culture report. Look for another one in the next week or so.
[Note: By nature, some of the articles and subject matter we deal with in Trends & Culture often conflicts with our beliefs and ethics as Christ-followers. Our purpose in linking to this type of material is to simply give you the option of knowing the culture your students are surrounded by. Use discretion to determine which links to click on.]