At ym360, we're committed to equipping youth workers. While most of our energy is dedicated to doing this in the areas of Bible Study Resources and Training, we believe it's valuable for youth workers and parents to stay in the loop on what is happening in youth culture and culture in general. (Read why we think it's important here.) A couple times a month, we'll do a post like this one, where we link to relevant articles and studies that give you a better glimpse into the world teenagers are living in.
[Note: By nature, some of the articles and subject matter we deal with in Trends & Culture often conflicts with our beliefs and ethics as Christ-followers. Our purpose in linking to this type of material is to simply give you the option of knowing the culture your students are surrounded by. Use discretion to determine which links to click on.] We'd love to know that we're not just equipping you, but those you serve, as well.
Consider using this article to equip your community in the following ways:
- Email this link to your adult volunteers
- Repost it on your blog or church website
- Email the link to all your parents to help equip them to better understand their teen's world
- SHARE IT with your youth ministry networks. This is a great way to help your peeps!
Without further ado, here are some relevant links we think you should know about.
- Company releases moderated texts for kids and tweens giving parents the ability to watch their child's texts in realtime.
- New report says 50% of children have bought digital content by the age of 7.
- Just for fun: Creative uses of Facebook Timeline feature
- This infographic shows the results of a Global Survey finding Malware Attacks Up Because of Social Media.
- New UK study shows that a quarter of Britain's 'net native' teenagers expect to be issued with a smartphone, while more than one in six anticipate Facebook access at work.
- Interesting article about the changing nature of Young Adult literature.
- Remember CliffsNotes? (Of course you don't. You ALWAYS read the entire book.) Well now, there are 6 minute video shorts to help students.
- If you're interested in seeing and or listening to the music many of your students and/or their peers are listening to, the Billboard Hot 100 is a good way to do it.
- Recent PEW study shows more Latino children are living in poverty -- 6.1 million in 2010 -- than children of any other racial or ethnic group.
- Great article on what to do if your child is the bully.
- Ausie study shows teens who stay up late heavier than those who get more sleep.
- Interesting study shows arguments at home can spill over to school, and vice versa.
- Sleep-Deprived Teens At Risk Of Future 'Brain Damage', Say Scientists
- A report issued by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) indicates brain injuries in children received from participating in sports are on the rise.
That's it for this edition of the ym360 Trends & Culture report. Look for another one the week of October 24.
Want more ym360 Trends & Culture? Click the image below to sign up for the ym360 Newsletter.