Great Things Happening Across Youth Ministry
One of the things we're passionate about here at ym360 is Networking. We love to put the spotlight on youth ministries and youth ministers who are doing awesome things. It occurred to us the other day that this is a very exciting time in youth ministry. There are a handful of ministries doing some cool things right now, with more cool things on the horizon. Same goes for youth ministers.
It's a great time to be a youth worker. What are we talking about? Glad you asked . . .
- We're super excited about what's going on at Youth Specialties. There is so much energy surrounding the new leadership structure and the potential for the future. Doug Fields and Mark Matlock are as solid as they come. It's going to be so cool to see what the new shape of YS looks like. But it doesn't stop there . . .
- Mark Oestreicher (MarkO) former President at YS and long time youth ministry sage, has launched The Youth Cartel. Recently, Adam McLane, also formerly with YS, joined MarkO. I can't wait to see what these two guys cook up. And what's already happening is looking really good. If you haven't heard about their one-day symposium on extended adolescence, you're missing it. I'm going to be there. You should be, too. And, the re-tooling of Slant 33 that the Cartel is helping steer looks to be awesome. Exciting things. But, it doesn't stop there . . .
- The stuff our friends at Simply Youth Ministry continue to roll out is just awesome. Adding Leadership and Books of the Bible tracks to the already robust Live content engine was huge. But what about the Simply Youth Ministry Show? Or Group Magazine Live? Or Simply Youth Ministry Tools? And of course, SYMC? Again, tons of great stuff happening. But it doesn't stop there . . .
There are a lot of great youth ministry resources being created . . .
- Our friends at Student Life are on the verge of releasing a very cool print and digital magazine, called MORF Magazine. We'll be talking more about this soon, but it is going to be a super cool resource.
- Doug Fields is relaunching his excellent podcast, aptly titled the Youth Ministry Garage (as it is shot in his garage). We're pumped to be one of the sponsors. I think Doug really is the leading voice in youth ministry today. When you add Matt and Josh, you get a combo that is tough to beat.
- There are a handful of youth ministers with curriculum initiatives or books either just released or in the works. Lars Rood just released a great book. Tim Schmoyer has another one on the way. I can't let the cat out of the bag, but there are some very cool books coming from friends of ours . . .
- We love the work that Chris Folmsbee and friends are doing with missiolife. It looks like a great curriculum initiative.
- I don't have the time or space to talk about all the incredible youth ministry blogs that are being written by awesome youth workers! Let's just say my Google Reader is packed.
And, perhaps what I personally am most excited about is a very significant Bible Study resource that we are producing with some friends of ours. Can't quite release any details yet, but it's enough to say that we've been working around the clock for a while. We're in the home stretch, though. And it will be such an awesome resource for youth workers. Can't wait to tell you all about it . . . This isn't an exhaustive list, by any means . . . Just a taste of SOME of what is happening in youth ministry. I don't know about you, but the way I see it, it's a great time to be a youth worker. And a great time to be a teenager!