PURPOSE: To engage in faith formation of middle and high school students at VHMC and to train and equip adult volunteers to minister to and with those students.
SCOPE: All students in grades 6-12 and their families.
CLASSIFICATION: Director of Student Ministries, Exempt, Regular Full-Time
- Engage students conversationally and relationally whenever they are present in the church building or at off-site activities.
- Train and empower laity to oversee and undertake all aspects of youth ministry so that the Assistant Director(s) of Student Ministries are freed to spend time conversationally and relationally engaging students.
- Work in conjunction with lay leaders to plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of fellowship, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- In conjunction with the Assistant Director(s) of Student Ministries,
- Oversee Student Ministry Budgets
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios
- Give oversight to Sunday School, Sunday Night, and Small Group curriculum and recruit and train teachers through a Curriculum Committee
- Keep records of youth participation through attendance via database applications.
- Reports to the Director of Discipleship Ministries
- Supervises Assistant Director(s) of Student Ministries
- Supervises, in conjunction with Assistant Director(s), Student Ministry Interns
- A well-trained professional, who demonstrates a commitment to Jesus Christ and support of the ministry and vision of Vestavia Hills Methodist Church.
- A person who embraces Methodist Doctrine and has a strong understanding of Wesleyan theology.
- Someone who has minimally completed an undergraduate college degree and earned a Bachelor’s degree
- A person with at least five years of experience in youth ministry.
- A person with strong verbal and written communication skills as well as conflict management skills.
- A servant who will seek to minister to and with youth and the adult volunteers who work with youth.
- A team member who is able to work with a diverse group of volunteers and students towards a common vision.
- A conscientious person who takes pride in their work and feels responsible for helping others.
- A person who is highly organized and able to manage multiple events ministries well.
- A ministry minded person who understands the importance of this role in the Body of Christ.
- A person who can empower teams of adult volunteers.
Job Status: Full-Time
Salary Range: $50,000 - $65,000