The ym360 Trends and Culture Update (Vol. 23)
At ym360, we're committed to equipping youth workers. While most of our energy is dedicated to doing this in the areas of Bible Study Resources and Training, we believe it's valuable for youth workers and parents to stay in the loop on what is happening in youth culture and culture in general. (Read why we think it's important here.) A couple times a month, we'll do a post like this one, where we link to relevant articles and studies that give you a better glimpse into the world teenagers are living in.
[Note: By nature, some of the articles and subject matter we deal with in Trends & Culture often conflicts with our beliefs and ethics as Christ-followers. Our purpose in linking to this type of material is to simply give you the option of knowing the culture your students are surrounded by. Use discretion to determine which links to click on.] We'd love to know that we're not just equipping you, but those you serve, as well.
Consider using this article to equip your community in the following ways:
- Email this link to your adult volunteers
- Repost it on your blog or church website
- Email the link to all your parents to help equip them to better understand their teen's world
- SHARE IT with your youth ministry networks. This is a great way to help your peeps!
Without further ado, here are some relevant links we think you should know about.
- Check out this really awesome infographic on who watches videos online. Here's a hint: It ain't your grandparents.
- This is another fun infographic looking at how Google has changed the way we remember stuff . . . It's a really co . . . What was I saying?
- Google+ membership went up 1,269% in the last week, taking the social networking site from the 54th ranked site to the 8th. A threat to Facebook? (h/t YPulse)
- A new study shows that teens feel freer to use hurtful language and homophobic/racial slurs when it's done digitally. Interesting, but unfortunately not surprising . . .
- Billboard releases their list of the "hottest" 21 musicians under the age of 21.
- In case you missed it yesterday, a new MTV study shows that 76% of 14-24 year olds say digital abuse is serious problem.
- This article on CNN takes a sneak peak at an October issue of Relevant magazine that examines a study that shows Christians are having premarital sex at roughly the same rate as non-Christians.
- And just for fun, want to see something awesome? Watch this 8-year-old skateboarder land a 720.
- We linked to this earlier this week, but it is such a fun little study. New report shows cost of raising a child birth-18 is up 40% in last ten years. Pass this along to your parents. It will give them plenty of ammo with their teenagers!
- This is a really cool link to Pew Research's database of teen research and resources. Lots of awesome info.
- 2011 Family Dinners Report finds teens who have infrequent family dinners likelier to smoke, drink, use marijuana. (h/t CPYU)
- This is a great post from Brad Griffin at FYI. It's a few findings from the ongoing research being done on teen brain mapping.
- New study shows that sleep deprived teens take more risks.
- This article in the Sydney Morning Herald looks at an Australian study that shows teens engage in sexting to "fit in."
- New study shows use of ADHD meeds rises among kids.
That's it for this edition of the ym360 Trends & Culture report. Look for another one the week of October 10.
Want more ym360 Trends & Culture? Click the image below to sign up for the ym360 Newsletter.