The Episcopal Diocese of Long Island (DioLI) is a large and diverse diocese that includes 131 churches across Brooklyn, Queens, and Nassau, and Suffolk counties. Within those worshiping communities, there are 36 formal youth ministry programs and five intentional young adult initiatives. Additionally, there is one nursery-8th grade school and the much beloved Camp DeWolfe, which offers year-round opportunities for children, youth, and adults.
The Ideal Candidate
The full-time Canon for Youth and Young Adult Ministries (Canon) serves to guide the youth and young adult ministries of the diocese in uniting “as One Diocese in One Mission to serve Jesus Christ”.
In youth ministry, this will encompass support for front-line youth leaders through both resources and relationships, as well as building up youth as leaders in their faith communities and among one another. The Canon should be able to lead and oversee a team of leaders to help live out this goal.
For young adult ministry, visioning of the community and their needs will be crucial. The Canon will need to develop a system in conjunction with a leadership team that provides space for young adults to grow into their faith while also leading the church right now.
Equipping Other Leaders
- Research and disseminate quality, formational, relevant resources for leaders across the diocese to support them in their ministries.
- Foster a spirit of connection among youth and youth adult ministry leaders for fellowship and collaboration through intentional, sustainable gatherings.
- In partnership with the youth ministry leadership team, evaluate previous event offerings to determine which should be reintroduced and which could be let go of.
- Establish a plan for implementing the reintroduced events as well as new ideas and manage event logistics
- Communicate the mission and activities of youth and young adult ministry internally and externally utilizing a variety of platforms in a timely, professional, and effective manner.
- A deep and abiding personal faith
- Bachelor's degree (required)
- Masters of Divinity or other advanced degree (encouraged)
- Previous experience in youth and/or young adult ministry
- Excellent communicator and connector of people
- Advanced administrative and organizational skills
- Willingness to travel
- Previous experience in diocesan-level leadership or ministry (appreciated but not required)
About the Diocese
The Episcopal Diocese of Long Island offices are located in the heart of Garden City, NJ. The role would require regular work in the office several days a week, with flexibility for some remote work as well as incorporating travel. With that in mind, the selected candidate may choose to live in Garden City or any of the surrounding boroughs or towns, each of which offers their own personality and culture. JFK airport is close by, creating easy travel arrangements.
The diocese has 131 churches and six different languages spoken in worship. There are 36 parish-level youth ministries and five intentional young adult communities. Additionally, the diocese has a strong history of quality youth programming events. This role will guide support for parish leaders as well as spearhead events and initiatives with the support of a leadership team across both ministry areas of youth and young adults.
Job Status: Full-Time
Salary Range: $110,000 - $130,000